Friday, November 2, 2007

Thinkpad x40 Ubuntu Linux


Some notes on how I setup Linux on IBM/Levano ThinkPad X40

Backing Up System Restore Partition

The system came with no disks (I don't think they do even if new) but does come with a system restore partition.
I decided I would like to be able to restore the system to a 'blank' windows state at a later time if I wanted to sell the laptop.

The system allows for the making of backups using a utility under All Programs -> ThinkVantage -> Create Recovery Media.

As I didn't buy a docking station for the system I have no cd rom drive but I decided against using a usb hard disk to back the partition as I didn't really want to dedicate yet another disk to permanent storage, its bound to fail or get wiped by accident. So I used a LaCie USB 3.5 disk caddy connected to an old cd burner. It's only USB 1 ports but seems to do the trick.

This is just a recovery option, so I also used the build in rescue and recovery software to make a backup of the system as it was then copied that back to my macbook pro to burn to dvd.

Testing the backups: boot from the recovery cdrom to check it works correctly (hit f12 at boot)

I was going to install across the network, but since I have a cobbled together cdrom drive I didn't bother.
Ubuntu 7.04 text install boots ok from the cd drive, but then fails to work out what cdrom drive module to use
selecting cdrom from the modules list and entering /dev/scd0 worked for me

Resizing partitions - I used guide resize and selected 20gb to resize to and hoped that it wouldn't blat windows or the system restore partition
(not the end of the world if it did - but would be annoying to have to restore.)

After it was installed I updated it to 7.10 using update manager and all is good.

One minor fix to the behavior of the Fn + F5 button was found in bug 152217

I'm still investigating some odd behavior with the wireless nm-applet and some scary stories about aggressive power management parking the disk to often.
But apart from that the system is great under ubuntu even with 768MB Ram and a 1.5 Pentium Mobile. I carry it most places as it weighs almost nothing even with the larger 8Cell battery sticking out the back.

No comments: