Thursday, November 8, 2007

Leopard 10.5 Notes

Adding OPML feeds to mail is not possible (at least not though an import opml import option) it can be done, but to put them all into a nice ordered way just seems like so much hassle compared to leaving them in Vienna!

It looks clean and crisper somehow - I guess thats the unified thing for you.

The Dock is annoying - the icons on the right are broken, they default to the first icon in the containing folder not the folder itself - just moronic. The active application white dot is hard to see on the reflective dock - and I'm not keen on the background reflection thing, I'd prefer the dock on the side in look if not function. I'm also used to long right clicking the icons to bring up a menu - with stacks its now a left click...

CoverFlow in the finder might actually be useful for the hundreds of .doc file my university bombards me with for every single communication.

Tabs in the terminal are ok, I prefer the shortcut for moving between them (Command + }/{) over gnome-terminals ctrl+PgUp/PgDwn. Still no middle click paste like X11 (hey I can dream)

NFS Network drives no longer seem to mount on the desktop - so not sure how I make alias for playing network content through front row just yet... alias or ln -s isn't working. But making an alias of a folder within the mount and moving t
hat to your movie folder seems to work. Front row is much better more responsive, and movie preview icons seem nice though they are no longer moving, which may be why its more responsive. Whenever you enter Front Row iTunes stops whatever its playing - random and annoying.

Finder overall seems snappier to me. (about time!)
ZFS read is here (not tested) - allegedly the beta
 ktexts where available from Apple Dev Connection
 at one point even apples command line prompt says so! - my brief search couldn't find them.

2 comments:

stan said...

Once you log into ADC, click "Downloads", then "Mac OS X" on the right, then search for "ZFS Beta Seed 1.1". I did some tests on a zpool made out of plain files, and things seemed to work. The .zfs directory does not appear to be implemented, so the only way to access a snapshot is to clone it.

James Legg said...

Ahh, cheers for that Stan - I'll have a play when I get back home to my OS X machine.